Tuesday, April 10, 2007

relationship/material

How did your relationship to your material affect your composing process? Describe / compare the composing processes you usedfor the revised essays.

The relationship I have to my material differs in each piece. My relationship to my Carter story is one that i am still exploring and trying to figure out what it all means to me and i dont think that i am ready to get deep enough into that at this point in my life that i would be able to create a workable piece of literature, mostly because i am far too confused about it myself to ever expect someone else to understand it. My relationship to my nature piece is also sort of confusing. I want to work on the piece because i do understand what i felt about being outside and what an experience it was for me to be on my own with my friends and nature, despite the main intention on their part being "lets party". My relationship to my driving piece is better than any other piece. I analyze my relationship with my father on a pretty much daily basis and by writing about an experience i wont soon forget i can look back and see how my relationship with him has progressed, unlike the other works their is no progression at this time that directy affects my life. My relationship with my father will affect me daily until i move out again or one of us dies, even then i will analyze every aspect of my relationship with my father because much like my experience with losing carter.. i dont fully understand it yet. But my relationship to the work about my father affected my composing process because i could see the here and now and the "what was then" parts. being able to compare today to back then helped me see what i was getting at while writing this piece and maintain an interest hopefully on a readers aspect.

2 comments:

Mauren Kadash said...

I agee with you that sometimes in writing it is difficult to see our relatioship to our material. When we step back it becomes so obvious how attached we are to our material----well for me any way. I think thats how we learn about ourselves and our relationships in our writing.

S. Chandler said...

Sounds like you use your writing as a kind of sounding board - like you look at it and compare it to what you think now and what you thought other times - and that your relationship to the materials influences what kind of "sound" is going to bounce back from the writing. At least I think that is what you wrote. Makes sense to me.