Friday, March 9, 2007

Next topic...

I am thinking about writing about seeing bands play at small venues and what goes on for the setting up, or with the band before the show actually takes place. I want to tie it in with how I appreciate the show more knowing that there is a lot of effort taking place behind the scenes, and a lot of nervousness, tension, excitement and so on that the band goes through to make sure their audience is satisfied enough to come back and see them again. I can interview a number of people from my town because we are like Band Town, USA. or i can interview some people at the venues about what its like to work for places like that and what goes on that people never really know about...

For my nature piece I want to write about going to West Hudson Park in my town and how it has changed over the years and the ducks that occupy the pond during the summer and the wild animals that occupy it during the nights and cold winters... at least this is what i'm thinking for now.

2 comments:

Mauren Kadash said...

Bith of your pieces sound interesting. I think y ou have a really good topic with the bands and the fact that you have a lot of access to people that you can interview will, I think, give your piece a variety of perspectives. Your nature essay sounds like it could be very thought provgoking---to see how the park and its inhabitants have change dover time.

S. Chandler said...

The lit journalism piece looks like it will work. So the focus wil be on what the bad goes through to make sure their audience is satisfied. . . in terms of =>picking composing the music? practicing? chosing the venue (their image/audience etc). Are you going to follow one band? (This essay probably isn't long enough to cover more than one band in much depth? Is it about the venue in a way? The audience? yeah I know, you will figure it out as you write. And that's fine.

For the nature essay. Writing about West Hudson Park is a great idea. If you are going to write about the wildlife you are going to have to do some identifying, some research, and probably a little watching to get the kind of authenticity you are going to want.

I did some checking on the net and if I found the right place (in Kearny?) it is an urban park, and the lake has been stocked for fishing, and that makes it interesting - because urban parks often provide city folks with their impression of what "nature" is.
http://www.theobserver.com/archives/05-18-05/fishing.shtml

Should be interesting.