Monday, January 29, 2007

Brainstorming

Listing, free writing, clustering for personal essay. What do I have to say? How should I say it?

Something Personal I May Want to Write About...

Topics- Getting a license, learning to drive a stick shift, my first relationship and the dramatic ending, moving out of my parents house, moving back into my parents house, buying a puppy, living with my boyfriend and our hyper puppy, starting college, commuting out of town for the first time, losing Carter.

Losing Carter/ losing faith- what do I have to say?
Hardest part of life is death.
Reality is unfortunate.
Questions that will never be answered are painful but necessary.
Death becomes a reality check for life.
I don’t think I could have made it through had he been mine.
Does Death help Life to eliminate the weak from the strong?

How to discuss Carter?
Start with the funeral. Move back to Alicia in HS. Come back to the casket being pulled out of the car. Move back to the abortion, the miscarriage, the pregnancy that lasted, the phone call that things aren’t good, the crying, the pain, the fear, the excitement, the loss. Questions with no answers. Question God, Question Life, Question Everything. Cry. Try to move on. Haven’t got there yet. Sad because it happened or sad because that is the biggest part of life? -DEATH.

Loving Lola-what do I have to say?
Excitement can deceive the responsibility of taking on a puppy.
Give up or work harder? When she jumped should we have given up or tried to help her?
Test of patience.
Test of time.
Financial situations.

Driving with Dad- What do I have to say?
Should I learn how to teach from how my parents have taught me?
Patience has been severely limited in my life with my father.
Learning out of interest would have been easier than learning out of fear.
Pressure makes a difference.
What started as a chore became an interest, thanks to Dad? No.

5 comments:

S. Currie said...

I think that you're topics are quite interesting. In "Losing Carter" what would you really be discovering at the end of the essay? Is it just that you're losing faith? Could the outcome be anything other than death?

-Nick said...

These sound like incredibly heavy topics. I think they will definitely give you the room you need to write a piece that blends reflection and ancedote.

S. Chandler said...

I agree with Nick - that these topics all lend themselves to connecting an experience or event to inner growth and reflection.

I am also interested in the same question Sharonda asks of the "Losing Carter" reflections -- what will you find? It seemed from the writing that you were still in the process of discovering - and writing into those kinds of places can be a powerful experience.

Which one of these topics feels most important to you? Which one do you feel would draw you deeper into your thoughts and feelings and lead you to new places? Which one do you think would set you up for the best essay?

From what you have

Mauren Kadash said...

I think you have a lot of interesting topics here. You mentioned a loss and the meaning of life and death several times that could be a deep and intersting topic. You also mentioned moving out and back into your parents house those experiences might also make a good essay.

Molly said...

All really good questions. I can't wait to read what your answers to them are.